Monday, January 16, 2012

dreaming

a really good magazine!
Every year about this time I start to get impatient. All I want is spring. Spring dressed in light green with warm sun and little shoots pushing out of the earth. Spring is the season of new dreams, new beginnings and new gardens. Spring is by far my favorite season. Not to say I don't love summer, with lemonade and fresh tomatoes, or fall with crisp days and fresh apple cider, but there is something distinctly different about Spring. Maybe it is the longing for green after the long winter. What ever it is it has me ordering seed catalogs and buying little seed starters.

leeks
For now I will have to make do with potato leek soup, and apple pie.

During the winter there is a need to go back to basics. For me the basics are eggs and vegetables. Because we don't eat that much meet I find myself making chickpea curry and other hearty soups almost every night. Something else that seems to hit the spot is egg and vegetable tarts. They are very easy, you through a whole wheat crust together then scramble a few eggs, saute some veggies (mushrooms, onions, spinach, leafy greens, potatoes, the list goes on and on...), a little grated cheese or goat cheese. Pour it into the crust and put it in the oven until the eggs are cooked. Eat while hot from oven.

I don't know if I told you but my camera died last year. I have been putting off getting a new one but I finally caved and got a new one.  I forgot how much I love taking pictures. One more reason I can't wait to plant my garden...

apples for pie


eggs waiting to be dinner

No comments:

Post a Comment